fognl

Get off my lawn.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Greed 2: Where was I


I just pushed a Greed update that includes something I had been thinking about, and then got a request for from a user. Basically, the ability to return to the article you were reading before you got interrupted and had to do something else on your phone. Not a big thing, but I think it's kind of handy.

There's a "Where was I?" item on the main menu. If you click on it immediately after starting this update of Greed, you'll be greeted by a message saying it can't remember where you were. You have to read an article before you can return to it.

Once you've read an article (any article, in a feed, label, attached to a "friend", etc.), its location will be saved, and you can return to it from the main menu by clicking "Where was I?". That's basically all there is to it.

Also in this update is the addition of a couple of things from Greed 1, namely the ability to rename feeds, delete feeds, and manage labels. Long-press on a feed in the Feed List to see the options. These are only enabled if there's a network connection.


5 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM , Blogger Hal said...

    Kelly, why is this an additional visible feature? I would think that it should be automatic. Lots of apps record their current state on android and other mobile platforms. You can't control when you will receive a phone call, and you are always going to be switching apps during the normal course of using a smart pone. My vote is to remove the button and just do it by default.

     
  • At 10:05 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Hal,

    I'd go for adding a preference to make this action automatic, since I imagine there'll be people (e.g. me) who don't always want to return to the last article they were reading. I'll make a note to add that option.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Hal said...

    What if there were a home button? I'm thinking of how the Market app works. If I open the market, then click home, then go to email, then greed, then make a phone call, etc, then go back to the market, it'll bring me to the same page unless it was closed. You use the home button to "start over". Without the home button, you would need to use a series of back button presses, like with Greed today.

    So as a thought exercise, why don't you want to return to the last item you were viewing?

     
  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Kelly - I really like this tool and would offer one suggestion. Could you add the ability to scan through articles using the volume buttons? The fading side arrows look nice, but are often hard to press and force me to want to spend less time on each article because I don't want the arrow to fade away.

    Thank you!

     
  • At 2:35 PM , Blogger Hal said...

    Getting a little off topic, but I think adding swipe would make sense for article navigation, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home